By Hannah Moss | May 24, 2012
Sample Sale Survival Guide
If you’ve never shopped at a sample sale before, now’s definitely the time to start! There’s a series of amazing sample sales coming up – all of which you’ll find listed on SalesGossip – with high fashion heavyweights including Alexander McQueen, Erdem and Christopher Kane reducing sample stock by up to 80%.
You’re pretty much guaranteed to leave any one of these events with bags full of bargains – especially if you follow our Top 10 tips to sample sale success…
1. Keep an eye on SalesGossip’s dedicated sample sale section so you can see what sales are coming up and plan your next shopping trip.
2. Go along on the first day of a sample sale if possible. It pretty much goes without saying that there will be the biggest choice of stock before all the best buys sell out.
3.Take cash. At some sample sales cash is the only form of payment accepted, whilst at others credit card payments incur a charge. Also, admission to the sale may cost £1/£2.
4. Travel light and just pop your purse in your pocket. You won’t be allowed to take your handbag in (although lockers will be available) and pushchairs won’t be permitted inside.
5. Avoid impulse buys. I know – easier said than done with so many amazing discounts, but it is highly likely that you will not be able to return unwanted items. Most importantly, make sure the items fit you properly.
6. Know what you need. Do you really need to add a tenth pair of black jeans to your wardrobe just because they have 80% off?
7. Be open minded. You never really know exactly what will be stocked, so it’s the perfect opportunity to try something different and pay less for it.
8. Keep up to date with emerging trends. It may be a must-have now – but will it last more than one season or is it just a one hit wonder?
9. Don’t forget your friends and family. You might just find the perfect present you know they’ll love – or keep an eye out for items you know they want.
10. Don’t save and keep schtum – spread the word about where you found your bargain buys. You’ll get more kudos than for paying full price.
Oh, one more thing – any Becky Bloomwoods out there – try not to get into any fights over Gucci boots however beautiful they might be!